Fiction/nonfiction writer and 2010 MFA graduate from the University of Michigan, represented by Amy Williams of McCormick & Williams. Awards include the Hopwood Award for Novel-in-Progress, the Louis Sudler Award for Creative Writing from Stanford University, semi-finalist for the John Steinbeck Fellowship, and a $40k grant from the Elizabeth George Foundation. At present, I'm finishing up a novel. I intend to eventually write a collection of essays about living long-term with mental illness with material inspired by this blog.
Note: Should you be interested in soliciting a guest post, or reprinting a piece of writing or photography from this site, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Excerpt from my untitled novel (2011) A brief bit about the confusions of mental illness, set in the woods of Northern California.
- Thirteen Times (2008) :: An essay about the decision to have children or not have children whenone has a mental illness, as seen through the lens of counseling at a camp for bipolar children.
- The Celebrity Guide to Bipolar Disorder (2011) :: A piece on Jezebel about celebrities and bipolar disorder -- namely, Demi Lovato, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Charlie Sheen. This piece led to an interview with the radio show "Q with Jian Ghomeshi" on CBC Canada.
- Why I Left Yale: Mental Illness & Higher Education
- The Care & Keeping of Esmé (and of You)
- What I Talk About When I Talk About Psychosis (a three-part series)
- The Danger of Nightmares is Sometimes Waking Up: Nightmares, Illness, and Medication
My Life: A Narrative
- The Quality of Water & Small Adventures
- My Discomfort Zone
- Remembering LiveJournal, Or, My Search for Online Community
- Infinite Love
- About a Mug